------------------------------------ -----------------------------------

Friday, January 21, 2011

Sometimes It's Too Much - A Piece of Advice

A mother writes in to say, her friends and family will not leave her in peace. They are well intentioned as she had just lost her son, but all she wanted to do was relax and spent time with her other son.

I would say to this woman:
Take the letter you just wrote and tape it to the front door. This way your friends can read what you are feeling, know that you feel so strongly that you had to write to an advice columnist for help, and you don't make anyone feel "attacked" for trying to be there for you. If anyone asks, (or does not read or understand your letter), explain to them, "I am so glad you have been coming to keep me company, you have helped me SO much by being here. Now I think I should spent two weeks alone with my son, and just relax, by ourselves. When I am ready again for company I'll call all of you guys over and we'll hang out, but for now, I just need some alone time. Everyone needs to spend some time alone, to themselves, it is a spiritual kind of healing. Thank you SO much for understanding". And remember thank them "for understanding" before they have a chance to say anything, this will quite any dissenters you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment